Our History at Langdon Prairie Health

Early Days

In the late 1890s, the early pioneers of Cavalier County worked together to build the Semple-Gibson Hospital—named after two of the county's early physicians. For more than a decade, the hospital continued to meet the needs of the population. Then, in 1910, in the wake of challenging times, the hospital was forced to close.


The county went without a hospital until 1928, when Mrs. Flora Borusky, a pioneer serving maternity patients, opened the Borusky Hospital. She later turned her hospital into a home for elderly people.

Langdon Prairie Health Through the Years

In 1939, Cavalier County citizens joined with the Omaha-based Sisters of Mercy to build a 28-bed facility, which became known as Mercy Hospital. When the hospital faced staffing issues, the Sisters of Presentation from Fargo began operating the hospital and changed its name to St. Mary's Hospital in 1955.

In the late 1960s, area residents united toward a common goal: a county-owned hospital. With the backing of the entire county, plans were drawn up for a new facility—Cavalier County Memorial Hospital, which opened in 1971, just four years after its initial planning began.

In the following decades, CCMH continued to grow, adding such services as state-of-the-art laboratory equipment, mobile diagnostic services, visiting specialists, and outpatient clinics in Langdon and Walhalla.

In 2022, CCMH changed its name to Langdon Prairie Health to better reflect our community’s solid foundation for health, growth and wellness. We remain a strong, independent organization committed to providing high-quality, compassionate healthcare to all those we serve.

historical photographs of the hospital throughout the years